Individual Investment

Wealth Management

You work hard for your money and are already investing for your retirement and would like to invest in your “here and now”.

We can assist you with investing whether for short term or long term goals.

Indvidual Wealth Page_1

IRAs: Traditional and Roth

Defer paying taxes on your IRA earnings until you start withdrawing the money from the account in retirement. Depending upon your income (and whether or not you have a pension or a 401(k) plan at work), you may also be able to deduct your annual IRA contributions from your taxable income each year. Traditional IRAs have rules for contributions and withdrawals, so you should always consult a financial professional such as a CPA for advice.

With a Roth IRA, you will never pay taxes on the income you earn on your IRA investment as long as your withdrawals comply with IRS regulations. Your earnings from a Roth IRA will grow tax-free, but these additional rules apply. You should consult a finance professional for information and advice.

Annuities: Fixed and Variable

Annuities guarantee an income for a specified number of years or for life, and are tax advantaged. An annuity is a contract between you and an insurance company where the insurance company pays you an income based on an agreed schedule based on the amount you pay in premiums. Annuities should only be considered for long-term investments. Before you purchase any annuity, you should understand all the options and associated fees for it.

If you need predictability, you should purchase a fixed annuity. With a fixed annuity, you set a guaranteed schedule of payments for a specific period of time. You may want to consider annuities that have a Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) to help keep pace with inflation. Investors should use caution with “bonus” offers on fixed annuities because these bonuses may be for a limited time only.

If you are comfortable taking some risk in exchange for a chance to increase future income, you should consider a variable annuity. With a variable annuity, you select how the company invests your money among mutual funds. There could be a guaranteed minimum that you earn, or there may be no minimum guarantee at all. Variable annuities are usually not for those already retired or near retirement because their purpose is to grow retirement savings tax-deferred over a long period of time.

Children Education Savings Plans

With today’s ever increasing tuition fees and need for higher education, we can help you provide the best possible future for your child by enrolling them in an Education Savings Plan. There are flexible options making this option fit into just about any budget.


College Counts Alabama’s 529

529 plans were created by section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code. A 529 savings plan is a qualified tuition program, sponsored by a state or state agency, designed to allow families a tax-advantaged way to save for college. A 529 college savings account provides federal tax advantages, potential state tax benefits, account control, and investment flexibility. Savings can be used at eligible institutions for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for enrollment. Room and board is also a qualified education expense if the student is enrolled at least half-time.


A Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) is an account created as an incentive to help parents and students save for education expenses. The total contributions for the beneficiary of this account cannot be more than $2,000 in any year, no matter how many accounts have been established. A beneficiary must be under age 18 or be an individual with special needs.

Contributions to a Coverdell ESA are not tax-deductible, but amounts deposited in the account grow tax-free until distributed. The beneficiary will not owe tax on the distributions if they are less than a beneficiary’s qualified education expenses at an eligible institution. This benefit applies to qualified higher education expenses as well as to qualified elementary and secondary education expenses. There are contribution limits for taxpayers based on the contributor’s modified adjusted gross income.



The Uniform Gifts to Minors Act (UGMA) and Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) are custodial accounts that allow you to save for your child’s education or other purposes that benefit the child. Typically you cannot use the funds for items such as food, housing, clothing, or other parental obligations.

A custodial account is used to hold and protect assets for a minor until the age of majority is reached. As a custodial account the assets are held in the child’s name with an individual serving as custodian. They are irrevocable gifts to the minor. When the beneficiary attains the age of majority, the beneficiary gains control and can use the funds for any purpose.

UGMA and UTMA accounts are taxed at the child’s or the parent’s tax rate, depending on the amount of taxable income each year.  Check with your tax advisor or investment professional for additional details.

Go to collegecounts529 for more information on these Education Savings Plans

Protecting your success, while growing your future